Assisi, San Damiano, 1919: through their faith experiences, twelve women discovered that they had a common wish, that of consecrating their life to God for a mission in the world, remaining in the ordinary condition of lay women and in the spirit of Saint Francis.
It was a very new calling in the Church, the promise of following the Gospel in and through the secular realities, a new and original gift of the Spirit.
The presence of lay people in the events of history to contribute to transform them from within, dedicating life to this aim was the newness of this charism and the charismatic personalities of the founders worked to ask apply and achieve the acknowledgement of the Church for this way of life.
The documents that declared its acceptability were “Quas Primas”, in the thirties and later “Provida Mater” and “Primo Feliciter”. The Institute of the Missionaries of the Kingship of Christ was approved as an institute of pontifical right. Its name expresses and indicates the ideal of the fellowship of Christ who chose to reign from the Cross.